Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Greenhouse adventures

As I said in a previous post, Mollie made 4 raised beds for the greenhouse. We have not had to opportunity to get manure and such for them so we bought some top soil today.
In one bed Mollie planted somewhere between 24 and 30 Romaine lettuce heads? and Hannah planted 3 tomatoes, and 9 green, red and Yellow pepper plants.
I am not only doing raised beds, but I am planting more intensely, as in closer.
I hope that tomorrow we can work on another bed. I have quite a few more peppers and tomatoes ready to plant.
I also want to get the beds outside going. Mollie and I planted the loofah by the arbor. We are hoping to grow lots of loofah for use at the sink and in the bath.
This year we will also be saving seeds. One year I saved a whole quart of okra seeds and then found out they were hybrid. Bummer.
In the front I want to plant cucumber to climb the new trellises we put up, and in front of that, zucchini and yellow squash. They look somewhat like elephant ear plants so they will work there.
In Elliott Coleman's book he says to plant squash in a container about two weeks after you plant outside so that when the plants start looking bad you just yank em out and put new ones in. I want to try that method.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi, Which Elliot Coleman book were you referring to? Thanks!