Monday, April 12, 2010

Homemade chicken feeder


I found the instructions for this chicken feeder at backwoods home : http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/slate119.html
It uses a 5 gallon bucket and a relish tray. It looks easy. For the complete directions and more pictures follow the link.
We have to go to the Library in Perryton tomorrow so I will stop by the Dollar General and see if I can pick up a relish tray. I don't know how many pounds of feed a 5 gallon bucket holds but it should hold quite a bit.
The dog killed two chickens today when we let them out to range. I killed two accidentally when I tried to move the coop. So we are down to about 46 chickens.
Tomorrow we are going to gather up the chicks for safety and move the coop to where we want it and then build a fence to keep the chicks in and the dog out. I may have to buy more fencing to make a bigger run. I only have about 50 feet of netting so if I buy another 100 foot roll that should make a fairly good chicken run. I had about that much chain link fencing but I sold it when I thought we were going to be moving.

No comments: