Monday, April 26, 2010

Comparison

I am going to try to start a new thing where I compare verses in the KJV and the NIV. I am a KJV person and I want to share some of what is either different or missing in the NIV.
Today lets look at Luke 9:56. The entire first part of the verse which are Jesus' words has been taken out of the NIV version.


Luke 9:56

(KJV) "For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village."
(NIV) "and they went to another village."

The Bible itself says we are not to change one jot or tittle.
According to Noah Websters 1828 dictionary a jot or tittle means the least quantity assignable. In other words, not one tiny bit should be changed.

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

If the Bible itself tells us not to change, add or take away from the word under penalty of plagues being added, that is something I would take to heart.

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

One thing I should make clear. My personal belief is that every word, jot and tittle in the Bible is true and written for us. I also feel that it is our guide book and truth that we can hold on to and learn from. I know that some people think that the Bible is a nice book but it isn't true. I do think it is true and that the KJV is the inspired translation. For myself, if I cant believe every word than the Bible is no more than a popular story book.

No comments: