Thursday, March 11, 2010

The aggregate is on its way

One of the components we use in our stone is light weight aggregate. It is a lightweight inert material, such as foamed slag, vermiculite, clinker, and perlite, used in unreinforced concrete for making structures of low weight and high insulation.

It is not like regular aggregate in that is is very much lighter. Thus we are able to make manufactured stone that is just as strong as real stone but weighs 1/2 to 1/3 of what real stone weighs.

This light weight aggregate is not available everywhere like regular aggregate is. We get ours from a mine in New Mexico. The shipping on it is almost three times the cost of the aggregate itself.

The man who trucks our aggregate is a very nice fellow from New Mexico named Benny.
Benny called me yesterday to say that he would be on the road today after he got a tire fixed on the truck. He said he had had trouble getting up the mountain because of ice and snow but that he had the load and would be here today.

I realized that although the weather is nice here, I tend to forget that it is not the same everywhere.

I was glad he was able to get up the mountain and back safely. I know the first time he was here to deliver a few years ago, he was very careful. I appreciate that and I am sure his family does too.

No comments: