Monday, March 22, 2010

Ok that's it. No more wasting food.

This article says that the average American family of 4, wastes 122 pounds of food each month. To read the article go here: http://www.groovygreen.com/groove/?p=3055

I read an article about how much food the average American throws away each month. The amount was staggering. Of course I thought to myself, we are not that wasteful. But are we? The girls and I just finished cleaning out the fridge and as I do every time we do this I was amazed and saddened. We ARE very wasteful. While we do not waste as much food as is pictured above, we waste more than I am happy with.
I am going to try my best to correct this situation. No more making something different for lunch if there are leftovers in the fridge, even if you aren't in the mood for it. No more wasting food. I am not being a good steward of the resources God has given me if I am wasting so much food.
Edited to add: We threw out about a gallon of food, gave it to the dog and cats actually. We clean out the fridge about once a month, so we do in fact waste less than the average, but still more than I would like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It is a continuing watchfulness sort of thing. I try very hard not to waste food, but sometimes is ends up on the dog's plate or in the compost and I feel badly. One thing I try to do is if I have leftovers that I think we really won't finish in time, I freeze them (labeled.) That usually works out pretty well. Now that all of our children are grown and gone, and particularly my big boys who would devour anything edible, it is something I have to think about more. I think, ok, what do I already have in there before I decide to make something else. I'm proud of you!