Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What is in your fridge?


I was over at Mia's blog and she always has old B&W photos posted. I just love them. This picture really interested me because of what is in the lady's fridge. Or more like what is not in her fridge.
It looks like she only has milk and eggs and possibly a few other items in there.
I was thinking about the stuff in my fridge. Dozens of condiments, salad dressings, pickles, sauces, dips, and the list goes on. Do we really need all those thing? Can we cook healthy, good tasting meals with out all the extras?
I want to find out. Do you have recipes like your grandma used to make that are simple and don't use all these fancy new condiments and such? I'd like to record them here. Please leave either the recipe or a link that I can copy the recipe from and post it here.
I made rice pudding last night for the first time ever and it was really good.
Ladies, please help me out here, I am looking for old fashioned, simple recipes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Debbie, how many recipes would you like?

I have been cooking simply now for over 4 months, due to my diabetes, I can not use that many ingredients because of my reaction to them.

I would love to share recipes with you...

Let me know what kind you would like.

Blessings,

Maria

Yolanda said...

Here is one from my grandmother:

Field Family Cabbage

Shred a small solid head of cabbage finely. Sprinkle with salt and let stand while you heat 2 or 3 Tablespoons of lard very hot in an iron vessel. Stir in the cabbage and keep stirring, being careful it does not brown. When it looks cooked, add several tablespoons of cream - about 1/4 cup depending on the amount of cabbage. Let it cook a few minutes, still stirring. Take from the fire and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of good vinegar.