Sunday, March 7, 2010

Baby chicks are on their way

A fellow who lives a few miles from us just called and said he was at the Liberal post office picking up his chicks and he noticed that I have some there too. He said he would bring them to me.
He said this is their 3rd batch. I guess some have been dying. He didn't think mine would make it if they had to wait until tomorrow.

So we scurried around getting the water ready and feed set out and the heat lamp turned on.
I put 3 tablespoons of sugar in each quart of water. I will do this for the first 3 days. It helps give energy and relieve shipping stress.

As I take each chick out of the box, I will dip its beek into the water and then set it into the brooder. This helps the chicks know what water is. They have been living off their yolk since they hatched and have never had food or water yet.
The first few days are important in keeping the baby chicks alive and healthy.

I will take pictures of the chicks as I unpack them and put them in the brooder. If I get to go to church I will post the pictures after church. I should be at Sunday school now, but I am waiting on the chicks. The rest of the family went ahead and I will come as soon as I can.

2 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Oh how exciting we will be getting some chicks soon also... I think next weekend we are going to start building our coop we have been busy and side tracked with getting the garden ready ~ And our finches have been busy laying eggs!!~ I've been enjoying your posts~Have a blessed Sunday with your family Love Heather:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my...how exciting!

Chickens are such darling little creatures :)

May the survive their new home!

Maria